As if you didn’t need more reminders about all the things you need to do to get ready for summer â€“ here’s our pestering list of spring cleanup and inspections.
1. Check out the roof and gutters. Winter can be damaging to shingles and drainage areas. Look for missing or damaged shingles. Make sure gutters aren’t bent or pulling away from the fascia anywhere. Ensure all downspouts are properly connected.
2. If you’re not up to the repair yourself, call now; come the summer demand, you could be waiting a long time.
3. Start planning your landscaping projects now. If you’re trying to grow grass, get the topsoil in early, so you can take advantage of prime spring growing time. Plant or move shrubs and small trees before they’re actively growing.
4. If you’re removing storms, take the time to scrape, prime and paint them now; come fall, you probably won’t have the time. Winter can also do a number on wooden windows and sills. Scrape, prime and paint.
5. Look for signs of damage on siding, bricks or mortar. Determine the cause and repair it.
6. Drain the hot water heater sediment.
7. Turn off humidifiers.
8. If you have air conditioning, get it inspected before the first heat wave has them all tied up.
9. Check out the barbecue. Touch up the paint, clean the grill and tools, rotate the rocks, and replace the burner if it’s no longer working properly.
10. Clear out the basement and garage, so you know where all the summer gear is. Plan a garage sale for all that great junk you don’t want anymore.
Winter may also have done a number on your driveway. Tips on repairs next time.